31 October 2011

Happy Halloween!

There's something nostalgic about Fall, every year. Around this time, I always find myself reminiscing about the "good old days" and what Halloween used to look like. Some of my most favorite memories of growing up include costumes and trick or treating, sorting out candy on the kitchen floor, bartering with my little sister- her Almond Joys for my Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, and sneaking candy to school the next day, in every pocket I could stuff it in. Looking back, I bet I wasn't that sneaky, pretend-coughing to toss another gummy eyeball or Skittle into my mouth.. I bet my teachers looked forward to watching all the students try to get away with eating candy in class, just as much as we enjoyed thinking we did.

From 7th grade on, I spent most of my Halloweens with my friend, Kristine. Her mother has a tradition of making a big pot of chili, and nobody is allowed to leave the dinner table (no matter how many friends were waiting for us on her front porch) until our bowls were empty. Kristine would whine for what seemed like hours, every single year, thinking she'd somehow get out of it. She never did, and we were always late for what was always about to be "The Best Night of Our Entire LIVES."

I just got word that the chili is simmering in Myrna's kitchen, and although I never cared much for it, I want nothing more than to be at that table, listening to my best friend whine and planning what would indeed be the best Halloween of our lives.

Here we are, about a hundred years ago, as 80's cheerleaders.

Happy Halloween! =^..^=

No comments: